Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 13 of 21

I volunteered to help teach Sunday school so that it's not all on one momma's shoulders.  I give myself kudos for this; it's waaaaayyyyy out of my comfort zone.  I would rather get up and sing in front of the church or teach a lesson to a group of people than teach Sunday school.  Teaching Sunday school makes me sweat.  Sweat like I'm all anxious and feel insecure about my abilities to connect with 3 & 4 year olds (yes, I have an almost 4 year old…I am a little better at connecting with just her…at least some days perhaps).  Little kids play, and play is a foreign language that I'm struggling to learn.  My girls are teaching me each day, but I'm a much slower learner than I'd like to be.  

Today was different.  I didn't sweat at all, I just had fun.  There were four little girls who were full of giggles and stories.  We sang a couple of songs, marched around the room, smelled a flower, felt a pine cone, talked about plants and trees and flowers and fruits, and read the story of how God made them.  There was even a squirrel that made a special appearance outside the window to illustrate the point that some seeds that plants make are food for animals :)  I enjoyed their questions and laughter, their curiosity and exuberance.  I didn't feel pressure to get the lesson done (I have a teency issue with feeling overly responsible for things, so I can feel a lot of pressure since it's supposed to be time to learn about Jesus!).   I enjoyed being with them - this is a big step for me!  In the back of my mind I'd been thinking how I can't wait until summer comes so I will be relieved of my duties, but after today I'll give it a second thought.  I know Liana Joy loves that I'm there with her; I hope that I can be freed up more to love it too!    

Thank You for these precious children.  Thank You for silly songs and the joy of stickers.  Thank You Jesus for never giving up on us, for always redeeming the broken places, for repaying for all that the locusts have eaten.  You are kind and gracious, Your mercy and love are boundless, and You are the best teacher there is.  Thank You for who You are - You have blessed me with Your presence.  Bless me more.  

Peace,
Kristie

No comments: