Innocence…the beauty of a little girl running around adorned in their God-given clothes. Living in the country affords certain perks – for my girls, one of them is being “little escapees” (aka nude) J Today Liana Joy raced around the pool with glee over and over again. She’d stop for a few moments and take a dip. She is my Nordic child…the pool is quite chilly to me, but she gets in and splashes about in spite of the temperature. Her delight in running, in the “poses” that she can do, and in jumping off the bed into a stack of pillows is a picture of how carefree life should be and indeed, will be one day. I’m grateful for the reminder of a light load and the wonder of a child. She invites me to chase her and we’re off to the races. She pleads with me to get in the pool, but my toes are frozen, so I dare not put more of me in! She throws the Frisbee and waits a second to see if I’ll try to get it first; she loves to play tag, duck, duck, goose and any other game that involves running and winning. I don’t think it’s about the winning as much as about a place of power (kids are so often powerless -- there's just so much they simply can't do for themselves, not to mention all of the other ways they experience that feeling in their daily lives) – mommy can’t get the Frisbee before her, and I can never seem to catch her in tag or duck, duck, goose. She loves this. I love that I can still play tag and run with her (not for long though – she’s fast!). I love how she looks over at me and peers through my sunglasses to make sure that I’m watching her newest dance. She proudly prances in the kitchen and shows off the stripes she’s colored on her face and the spots on her belly (she’s inspired Zoe who has also taken up body coloring as of late!). Whew – I’m tired, are you? I love the energy of children but do think it a better plan to share some of that with the momma and daddy! Zoe wakes from her nap and shouts, “Mommeeee” – one of my favorite sounds is her sweet voice. It’s not long until she’s coloring again – her belly is red and her legs, too. She’s proud of her work. So quickly they grow. 18 months and in less than two weeks, a 4 year old! I’m thankful for these moments. I want to hold onto them – burn them in my memory, etch them in my heart. I am reminded of the words to this song and as a parent, I understand them a bit more these days:
“My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart…”
Children are graven on our hands and written with a scalpel on our hearts - deeply and permanently. I am thankful for these two girls on loan from God. They are agents of His grace and mercy to me in ways I could never have imagined. Thank You. May they rise up and call me blessed and may You say, “Well done, my good and faithful daughter.”
Peace,
Kristie
“Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea:
A great High Priest, whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on his hands,
My name is written on his heart;
I know that while in heaven he stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
No tongue can bid me thence depart.
When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look, and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because a sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God, the Just, is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
To look on Him and pardon me
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Praise the One,
Risen Son of God!
Behold him there, the risen Lamb
My perfect, spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace!
One in himself, I cannot die
My soul is purchased by his blood
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ, my Savior and my God
With Christ, my Savior and my God”
I have a strong, a perfect plea:
A great High Priest, whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on his hands,
My name is written on his heart;
I know that while in heaven he stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
No tongue can bid me thence depart.
When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look, and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because a sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God, the Just, is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
To look on Him and pardon me
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Praise the One,
Risen Son of God!
Behold him there, the risen Lamb
My perfect, spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace!
One in himself, I cannot die
My soul is purchased by his blood
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ, my Savior and my God
With Christ, my Savior and my God”
No comments:
Post a Comment