No credit card debt. No more school loans. No car payments. No mortgage.
Debt free.
Does that sound good to you? I can’t wait for that day.
Or did you read that first line and say, “Yeah right…that’s not possible in the world in which we live. That’s just a good idea, but not something that can actually be a reality?”
Until recently, I not only thought it was merely a good idea, but not something that I imagined could really be my reality.
My DH and I have been going through Financial Peace University. Prior to listening to Dave Ramsey, I was quite skeptical…someone might tell me to just eat beans and rice…we already do that (by choice – yum!). But Dave Ramsey is not only a great speaker and easy to listen to, what he has to say is radical (in a wonderful way) and biblical. His teachings have helped light a fire under my rear end and I am determined to do what I can to help us get out of debt.
We still owe on grad school and some business expenses – no, it’s not the newest TV or car or computer (yes, I would love to buy an Apple and Stephan would like to get a flat screen TV before they’re completely out of date), just boring school loans and some living expenses.
So, my DH and I sat down and evaluated our resources – what are all of the gifts God has given us that we aren’t currently using?
It just so happens that I’m great at generating ideas – creative ones, out of the box ideas – like house sitting. We rent right now, and aside from my eldest daughter’s cool bed and our piano, I’d be okay with selling everything else we own (okay NOT the Vitamix! But appliances don’t count…I’m thinking big items: couches, desks, dressers, etc).
DH got online and started looking for opportunities. We’re looking and praying for a house that we can sit long term - a year or so. There’s only one in this area (Kissimmee) right now and they don’t want kids or pets – bummer! This would allow us to live rent free and put that money towards paying off our debts. Dave Ramsey said that if your friends think you’ve lost it, you’re heading in the right direction :) Sell most everything we own and live in someone else’s house. Sounds good to me. We’re at a place in life that we could actually do that. We’ve tried to come up with other ways to live rent free, but outside of living in my folks’ camper (which is still an idea, but we’re not there yet) , house sitting is our best bet.
Would you pray with us that God would open a door to house sit long term for someone in the Central Florida area. It would have to be just the right place since we have kids and dogs. But our God is big enough; nothing is impossible for Him.
In the meantime, we’ll try to employ the other skills and abilities we have to offer and chip away at our “debt snowball.”
So, I’m looking for babysitting jobs. I’m selling things on Ebay. Apparently this can be a full-time job when you buy the right things at garage sales and then resell them on Ebay. I’m giving it a little go. So far so good. Finding the right things to sell is the trick. I’m going to finally sign up as a distributor for Juice Plus (I’ll write another blog on that…I could write loads on nutrition and the need for preventative healthcare through proper nutrition and healthy living).
In addition to the jobs that Stephan already works, he’s been developing his talent for taking awesome photos, particularly candid shots. Check out http://truenorthjourney.shutterfly.com/ to see his work.
In all this, we need the guidance of our Loving Father.
Sometimes it’s hard to know in which direction to walk. These are good options before us – none are evil – so it’s not an obvious decision. We don't want to labor in vain.
So it all comes back to trust. Ah, yes, that word. TRUST. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.” Thank You Lord Jesus that you taught me that verse so long ago in an old camp song. It was planted deep in my heart before I even knew You. And thank You that as we’re working to be financially debt free, we can rejoice that we are debt free from the biggest debt we owed.
Debt free.
Because of Jesus, we are.
That often sounds too good to be true.
But that isn’t just a good idea, it is reality.
My reality. Your reality. Our forever reality.
Does that sound good to you? Oh, I long for that day.
No more sorrows. No more tears. No more creditors. No more debtors.
Amen. Come Lord Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment