Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Under the Rim

I was doing a load of laundry the other day when the mood struck to clean the washing machine.

Yes, clean the washing machine.

I never thought of that until a friend mentioned that she cleaned hers. Oh, you’re supposed to CLEAN the WASHING MACHINE? It doesn’t get clean every time you use it? I suppose not. Especially mine. It sees diapers and dog towels in addition to the normal everyday funk that gets on clothes.

Well, it hadn’t been cleaned in its life time – 7 whole years. That’s 7 years of gunk and goo that had built up. First, I noticed the dust and dirt on the lid – the washing machine lives in my garage, so the outer layer is thick and grows back quickly. (I do hope for an indoor laundry room someday. Ahhh…)

No biggie. Just a wipe down will do.

But what began as a basic wipe down quickly escalated into a full blown deep clean. I realized that I couldn’t get into the grooves with just my rag.  I needed something smaller.  An old toothbrush would do just the trick!  Then the fun really began - I started getting some really good funk out of the nooks and crannies. Oh, it felt SOOOO good to get it out. But I couldn’t reach a couple of spaces – my toothbrush just wasn’t small enough.

AHA!  The little wire brush that my MIL gave me (that I used to think would never get used- little did I know!). That did the trick! I got right in the little space between the lid and the opening – you know, that space where the lid hinges to the top of the washer.  That space is just right for collecting dirt and grime.  It didn’t stand a chance against my little wire brush and my neurotic cleaning frenzy. You see, once I start cleaning something – anything really – I notice all of the funk. At first it’s just the top layer of dust and dirt. But the closer I get, the more I see. Then I notice another layer of goo and gunk, and all sorts of good stuff that’s been growing and building up for way too long.  I end up on  my hands and knees, wading through who knows what.  But it's wonderfully, soul-satisfyingly clean in the end! 


I thought I had seen it all.


That’s when I looked under the rim.


Inside the washing machine, the space between the part that you put clothes into and the upper rim of it…well, that was a haven for some serious dog hair, orange colored grime, blobs of fuzzies and other nasty stuff. Now getting that out felt REALLY good.  I was ecstatic!
 It was at this point – when I was bent over sideways with my head in the washing machine holding my weapon (aka toothbrush) - that the Lord reminded me that it was Ash Wednesday, the first day of the season of Lent. All of a sudden it dawned on me that the recent revelation of old, unhealthy, sinful, yucky, gooey, patterns of relating that He had shown me, was a lot like my experience with the washing machine.


The closer I looked, the more gunk I saw.

Isn't that true of our lives?  The closer we look, the more we see how deeply we need His grace.  Although He’s ruthless about removing the gunk from our lives, He’s very tender and kind.  (Not as abrasive as I am when it comes to the nasty build up in my shower!)  He reminded me that I’m His beloved who is a glorious, broken jar of clay.  He began the good work in me and will be faithful to complete it.  He’s the one who led me to look under the rim of my soul to find some more goo that He wants to remove…so that I may be the woman He’s created me to be.


I would like to say it felt as good to look under the rim of my heart as it did the washing machine, but I'm not so sure about that one.  The gunk isn’t quite as easy to remove (even with a little wire brush in the hands of a Master Cleaner and a 30 minute deep clean!)


Even if it doesn’t “feel as good,” I trust that goodness is at work and goodness will abound.


May we all have the courage to look under the rim of our hearts this Lenten season.


Peace be with you,


Kristie










5 comments:

Sidney Youngs said...

kristie, i must say i can TOTALLY picture you getting excited about cleaning. :) what a great way of learning about the Lord's way of loving us. thank you, friend. i will never look at my washer the same, but it doesn't mean i'll clean it!! ;)

barefootandbucketfree said...

Oh, Sid...you're missing out on such great fun;) HA! Yes, I'm sure you can totally see me super excited about cleaning....it makes me think of your bed (that one that was way too small for you) in COS and laugh. Thank goodness for the couch...mine is now the laundry holding station much of the time :) Do hope you and yours are well in OK. hugs!KB

Rachel said...

Wow KB, sounds like you were on a roll! I could feel the excitement and anticipation building with every new cleaning tool you discovered :) I love that you are passionate and determined about so many things in life (even cleaning your washing machine!). Yes, so crazy how this Christian life works that way - the more we see, the more we realize that we don't see. I'm feeling tested at the moment so i can really relate. Love to you and thanks for sharing your gift of writing! - RB

Unknown said...

Woohoo! A clean washer and a love note from God. Doesn't get much better than that. :)

hawasophie said...

I really enjoyed the time and energy you put into cleaning something that hardly gets noticed. And yet who ever thinks about cleaning IT? yet if it is not clean, then it has to be passing the junk onto the clothes right? I'm just thinking of all the connections you can make with this story. So thankful I read your blog. You are a talented writer.