To Lucky: Thank you for being a gentle creature on my journey. You have taught me so much since we first started working together.
From you I've learned that asking for what I want and need while respecting another's desires is always possible if I open my heart to listen with calm strength. And I've seen time and again how guilt keeps me from asking for what I need and from taking care of myself, and in turn limits my world. Thank you for holding up a mirror to me in the moment.
You've been a living example of massive strength restrained for the sake of relationship. And your willingness to enter into yet another relationship with a human - to trust me - after being left to die is humbling, inspiring, and deeply gratifying. You've preached the Gospel to me over and again.
From the first time I walked in the round pen with you - not knowing how I would get you to move, to our last encounter where I got you all prettied up in record time and led you out for a walk - we've come a long way...I've come a long way. It takes a strong heart to receive true affirmation and accept oneself. You've helped me take the next step in my journey.
I love that you showed me what you wanted and needed and gave me the space to understand you. It's okay to not know...to be a learner. You were a kind, patient teacher even amidst letting your desires be known!
Thank you for our last encounter - it affirmed my intuition and our connection. What a gift! I'm listening!! Sometimes - perhaps more often than I've noticed - the process really.is.the.point.
Lucky, saying goodbye to you has opened up a well of grief that I've carried many miles. When I removed your halter and watched you walk through the field, other goodbyes that were taken from me washed over my soul, and I'm beginning to feel a deeper letting go. My heart smiles as I imagine seeing you again later this summer, rejoicing in the difference of this goodbye.
Lucky I'm so glad that you were still standing that day long ago in the woods. I hope that your retirement is filled with lush green grass, many frolics through fly-free fields, some tasty grains and of course, a few sugar cubes!
P.S. Lucky, I am the lucky one!!
P.S.S. I secretly hope you'll be like Strawberry one day...and be bestowed with a new name AND wings!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment